Jun 1, 2010

Surf Into Summer X Ala Moana Bowls X Honolulu

Super rest and relaxation weekend on Oahu surfing, surfing and more surfing. I flew over to Honolulu Sunday early morning, picked up my rental car, surfboard, Organik team surfer Erik F. and headed over to the west side to surf a secret spot on the leeward side with my Makaha friend, Chris. We scored perfect overhead, board breaking, left hand point break surf with one other soul in the lineup. I like to called this surfbreak "Chris' Reef".

We ate lunch and headed into town. We watched Ala Moana Bowls from the boat harbor and saw head high barreling lefts break across into the harbor. We paddled out just as soon the Surf Into Summer contest ended for the day. Wow did we score with only a dozen people in the lineup. This was my first surf session at the ever popular "Bowls." I knew I had it too good, please pinch me am I dreaming!

Memorial Day Monday was the finals for the Local Motion Surf Into Summer contest. Erik F. went through several rounds to make it into the finals in the Open Men's Longboard division. I entered the the Industry category. My heat was early morning with fun chest high, clean waves. We even had a jet ski tow us out to the lineup. How lucky! I caught a bunch of waves and placed second in my heat which put me directly into the finals. 

Erik's longboard finals heat was at noon. Right off the bat, he caught a long peeling wave with a high score. He caught a deep left, pulled into a barrel and got closed out.

The industry heat immediately followed. I got towed out on the jet ski with the rest of the industry finalist which included ex-pros and surf industry representatives from Free Surf, FCS, Lost, DC, Local Motion and Quiksilver. Luckily, we had lots of waves during our heat with the top two waves counted towards to our scores.

The awards ceremony was great with all finalists getting prizes. This contest is mainly for the kids, so they were stoked with trophies and prize bags stuffed with goodies.

Organik got two 4th place finishes in the Longboard and Industry finals. Woooohoooo! Can't wait to do this again next year. Thank you Local Motion for putting on a wonderful event.









No comments: